I worked as a resident assistant with Memorial University’s Paton College in St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador, for two school years. This was both a challenging and rewarding experience as it required that I maintain and encourage a safe, orderly and enjoyable living environment that was conducive to learning.
My experience with Memorial University’s Paton College allowed me to:
- Display tact, diplomacy and patience while dealing with residents of Paton College;
- Acquire leadership skills through conferences, floor meetings, and general running of residence;
- Manage a university residence hall floor of 30 diverse undergraduate students;
- Counsel students on various personal and academic issues;
- Run floor meetings and conduct room drop-ins to discuss events, developments, and concerns to ensure that students are kept up-to-date on all pertinent information;
- Enforce University and Residence Life rules and regulations to maintain a safe, orderly and enjoyable living environment;
- Acquire time management skills through being a full-time student and working at this position; and
- Develop good communication and mediation skills by dealing with residents problems, especially roommate conflicts.